Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Two Boxes

The Two Boxes

I have in my hands two boxes Which God gave me to hold; He said, "Put all your sorrows in the black, And all your joys in the gold."

I heeded His words, and in the two boxes Both my joys and sorrows I store; But though the gold became heavier each day, The black was as light as before.

With curiosity, I opened the black; I wanted to find out why-- And I saw, in the base of the box, a hole Which my sorrows had fallen out by.

I showed the hole to God and mused aloud, "I wonder where my sorrows could be." He smiled a gentle smile at me. "My child, they're all here with Me."

I asked, "God, why give me the boxes, Why the gold, and the black with the hole?" "My child, the gold is for you to count your blessings, The black is for you to let go."

--Author unknown.

There are so many worries, and sorrows that burden us and weigh us down. How great is it to know that we have a God who delights in taking those sorrows from us.

As his child I am LOVED beyond any earthly LOVE. He LOVES me so much that he wants to take my burdens from me, so my black box will never become heavy! My soul can be at rest in Him...what a beautiful thought. God only wants us to count our blessings not our sorrows.

So many times I fail at this....daily I struggle with looking at the wonderful blessings in my life. It's so much easier for me to focus on the worries of the day.

Lord, help me to place my worries, and sorrows in my black box. Thank you for carrying my burdens and leaving only blessings for me to count. Help me to focus on the wonderful gifts that you have given me today, tomorrow, and forever!

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."
~ 1 Peter 5:7


2 comments:

  1. Great stuff baby!!! "But those who look intently into the PERFECT LAW that gives FREEDOM and continue in it, not forgetting what they have heard but doing it, they will be blessed in what they do." (James 1) Jesus' yoke is not a yoke of burden, but a yoke of freedom; freedom to experience and live as the Spirit of Christ indwelling within us allows us to. Freedom to rest in the Father's gracious arms. God loves us EXACTLY as we are; He sent his Son to prove it. Now, He yearns for us to experience the freedom of living for Him, through Him, and in Him. What a wonderful God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,
    What a wonderful thought.....our blessing box continues to MULTIPLY, while our "not so pleasant" burdens, worries, lessons, experiences, mistakes, shames and blames just filter through the black box, right into God's hands........the ONLY one who can free us from them.
    Because of reading this today, I'm going to pay special attention to God's freeing, total forgiveness He has given me through this black box.
    Thank you again for sharing your insight.
    See you in no time at all! Love You, Melinda

    ReplyDelete